Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hummingbird


Whenever I see a hummingbird, it's like I'm seeing it for the first time every time. I'm not sure if I feel this way because I rarely see hummingbirds or what. I do rarely see them though, and I don't really see them in pictures or on TV that often. I mean you never see tigers, but when you see one in like a zoo or something it doesn't feel like a big deal. Maybe it's because you see them plastered all over everything all the time, I mean it's really not rare to see a tiger on a t-shirt, television, pictures, or whatever else. I have never seen a tiger and just been captivated by it, but that's what it's like when I see hummingbirds. I can't look away and it seems so amazing, you never see any other bird navigate it's way around in the manner of a hummingbird. And that few seconds that fully captivates you seeming like a couple of minutes is suddenly gone as the hummingbird flies off as quick as it appeared. I saw a hummingbird today. I was sitting on a rocking chair holding some random hats. I was waiting for someone to tend to their laundry, and then that person was dropping me off so I could set up a Women's Studies table at a Multicultural Expo event at school. As I was sitting there in that rocking chair, it happened. Suddenly a tiny hummingbird appeared, fluttered around a hanging plant, and then it was gone. It could be years before I see one again, it's been years since I saw the last one. But still every time I see one, I feel like it's for the first time. Perhaps this is the only reoccurring experience in my life that makes me feel this way.

2 comments:

  1. couldnt have said it the way you expressed it! very lovely .thank you
    al m&mnetwork

    ReplyDelete