Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What is the Dark Side of Masculinity?


What is the "dark side of masculinity"?

Before I go further I would like to say that in the past when the term "sexual harassment" did not exist, men who harassed women did it in open public. They did it in the office, school, the diner, the sidewalk, you name it. Because there was no word for it, there was no way to address the issue. I don't want to go into a lot of detail on that, besides if you are ready to learn about "the dark side of masculinity" then you already know all about that. My point is, naming is important. In issues like sexual harassment, marital rape, and date rape it's easy to see how these acts needed to be named in order to draw out the issue and attempt to resolve it. Well I present to you a new "name", if you will. Today, October 10th 2011, I present to you The Dark Side of Masculinity.

So what is it?

The Dark Side of Masculinity- When masculine gendered men are gathered in groups of two or more, conversations and actions likely occur of extreme misogyny and blatant disrespect towards women and often LGBTQ people.

Wait, educated people are already aware of this right?

Yes and no. The reason I say no is because I have come to the realization that it is far more extreme than what is presented in my gender studies classes. Throughout this blog, I will attempt to continually and fluidly explain and exemplify just exactly what the dark side of masculinity is, how it works, and how it effects us.

Welcome to The Dark Side of Masculinity.

It is important to understand that this series of writings does not generalize men, it refers to heteronormative masculine-gendered, traditional male-centered hierarchy men.

Originally post on DSOM.



No comments:

Post a Comment