Thursday, November 17, 2011

In Memory of Dr. Karen Cajka


Dr. Karen Cajka was a strong and intelligent woman. I remember that when I first met her I was actually a little intimidated. I didn't get to know her all that well; I was new to the women's studies program that she was the head of. One thing I did know about her is that she had good sense of humor, I could just tell. I remember being in the women's studies office making jokes at the expense of our sexist culture and society, and certain people ;) looking at me and telling me with their eyes, "Steve! Dr. Cajka is in her office!"

And me thinking, "Dr. Cajka gets it."

I remember when I first heard the news. I had overslept for my women's studies class and I woke up to Veronica calling my phone. I could tell by the tone of her voice, somehow I already knew what she was going to say. It turned out the class had been canceled.

I always wondered, "Would I ever cry if someone died?"

When my grandfather died I shed no tears. He had been sick for a very long time, and I was never really close to him. It just seemed proper and acceptable. I believe most of the family felt that way in some sense or another, although tears were of course shed. To lose such an amazing woman and to see how it affects the people who were closer to her, today I learned the answer to that question.

Today the world lost a strong and intelligent woman, a teacher and mentor, a friend to the vegan and vegetarian community, and friend and treasure. No one really knows what happens when you leave this world, but I'd like to believe that it will be the beginning of an all new adventure. Good luck on yours Dr. Cajka.

Please enjoy this video of Dr. Cajka doing what she did best, being awesome!




No comments:

Post a Comment