Monday, November 14, 2011

Female Chauvinist Pigs and the Patriarchal Eating of Meat


So basically we learned what an FCP is, A woman who participates in the objectification of women and in this way acts Male, whether it be for personal advancement, a sense of freedom and power, or even because they find it humorous. Making their self an exception to the rule, the rule that women are inferior.

Vegetarianism and Veganism have long been associated with women, meaning that it shows compassion, nurturing, kindness, all feminine traits. To be veg is to be female, something that is not acceptable to the masculine culture of our society. The whole act and process of meat eating is something associated with masculine culture. Hunting, preparing and cleaning, cooking (Think grilling out, in fact the cooking of meat is the only cooking for men) and of course eating. Remember thanksgiving dinner? Who is at the lead of the table cutting and serving the dead bird you are about to consume? Slicing and penetrating into the dead female turkey, with his phallic blade, is none other than the father, the patriarch of the family. This is tradition.

So now that you have an idea of how meat eating is male, I can talk about FCP's. I know and have seen/heard many women act like they are the most hardcore of meat eaters. They go on and on about how much they love meat. When I asked some of my female friends about this, they confessed to me that these type of women seem to be even more aggressive about their meat eating when in the presence of men. After some thought I realized how this over aggressive attitude for meat eating from women, is actually very relevant to our article. These women are overly participating in the eating of animals because it makes them fit right in with their male friends. It makes them like men, men are more accepting of them. It's like you hear men say at times "I hate when a girl just orders a salad, I want a girl who eats a whole rack of ribs!". Do you see where I am going with this? What are your thoughts?

As to it being referred to as Male and Female Chauvinist Pigs, that's a whole other issue, but I won't get started on absent referents today!

If you are interested in learning more about these two issues, I suggest reading The Sexual Politics of Meat by Carol J. Adams(I can send you a free PDF version, let me know), and the actual book Female Chauvinist Pigs (which I happened to already own ha ha)!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Just came across your blog the other day and I love your insights.

    I'd love to read The Sexual Politics of Meat. Do you still have a PDF you can send me?

    Thanks a lot!

    atari515@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete